Call for papers
The team of the Interdisciplinary Research Project «Bios, Psyche, and Pathos: On the Epistemological and Ethical Critique of Psychopathology» is pleased to organize its first International Conference at Portucalense University (www.upt.pt; Porto, Portugal), from the 05th till the 07th September, 2018.
This Conference aims at discussing not only the epistemological foundations that support the construction of concepts and practices in mental health and psychopathology, but also the social, ethical, and political implications of diagnostic and therapeutic models. In this sense, the event intends to involve researchers from different branches of the Humanities (such as Philosophy or Literary Studies), Social Sciences (such as History, Sociology, Anthropology or Psychology) and Biomedical Sciences (such as Neurology and Psychiatry, among others).
The Organizing Committee and the Scientific Committee invite all researchers, practitioners, and students interested in the field of Psychopathology and Mental Health to submit their communication proposals, taking into account the following thematic areas:
1. Philosophical Foundations of Psychology (e.g. Positivism, Evolutionary Naturalism,
Phenomenology, Existentialism, Hermeneutics, among others)
2. Epistemology and Theory of Psychopathology, Psychiatry, and Psychotherapy
3. Psychopathology and Psychiatric Diagnostic Systems (e.g., DSM-5, ICD-10, RDoC)
4. Psychopathology and Culture: Inter/Multi-Cultural Relativism and Universalism
5. Cultural and Scientific History of Madness: Discourses, Practices, and Institutions
6. Neurobiology of Mental Health and Psychopharmacology
7. Comprehensive Phenomenology of Psychopathological States and Processes
8. Psychotherapy: Theoretical Models and Empirical Research
9. Psychopathology, the Arts and Aesthetic Creation
10. Literary Representations of Madness, Geniality, and Mental Insanity
11. Selfhood, Personhood, and Qualitative Research in Mental Disorders
12. Ethical Issues in Psychopathology, Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
13. Sociology and Anthropology of Mental Health
14. Mental Health Policies and Human Rights
15. Clients and Families: Attitudes, Experiences, and Perspectives on Psychopathology
Participants can submit the following types of proposals:
1. Papers: max. 30 minutes;
2. Panels: joint submission of 3 papers with thematic coherence;
3. Posters: Recommended size A1 (594 x 841 mm; 23.4 x 33.1 in);
4. Book Launch Session.
All proposals will be peer-reviewed and should be submitted in one of the following languages:
Portuguese, English, French or Spanish.
Submission of proposals should be sent to email@example.com and include:
1. Title of the paper, panel or poster;
2. Abstract (300-500 words for each paper or poster);
3. List of main references (between 5-10);
4. Keywords (max. 4).
– Submission of abstracts: until May 31, 2018
– Notification of acceptance: until June 15, 2018
– Early-bird registration: until July 31, 2018