Complutense University of Madrid-University of Miami Joint Philosophy Workshop UCM.
February 8, 2019
Call For Papers
PHYSIS: the Research Group in Analytic Metaphysics at Complutense University of Madrid and the University of Miami invite 300-word abstracts prepared for anonymous review dealing with materialist approaches to categories. These approaches pose, among other, the following challenges:
- What is the category of the manifest image?
- Is the category of the scientific image the same as that of the manifest image?
- Is there a single category for the scientific images of classical and quantum mechanics?
- What category has more explanatory power to account for the relation between the two images?
- Is the actual world a totality of substances, facts, structures, or something else?
- Do categories have roles in logic and science to better understand issues such as: logical truth, inference, and logical constants; scientific explanation, laws of nature, and symmetries in physics?
- Should categories be eliminated and replaced by concepts or naturalized and placed in frameworks?
There is no registration fee to participate in the workshop but registration is required. To register, please send your name/surname, contact details and affiliation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 20th, 2019.
For further details or queries please contact the UCM organiser Javier Cumpa (email@example.com), or visit Physis web page
Sponsor: Comunidad de Madrid. Research Project: The Eliminativist Approach to Categories: Issues in Ontology, Philosophy of Language, and Philosophy of Science (2016-T1/HUM-1263).